[CentOS] [SOLVED]: Proper configuration for DNS slaves and masters

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Nov 3 19:37:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, November 3, 2009 13:34, James B. Byrne wrote:

> In any case, the real problem is that neither slave actually
> transfers the updated zone file and I cannot figure out why not.  I
> have verified that the master zone file serial number is greater
> than that of the slave zones.

This problem was mainly my own doing.  Earlier today I had made a
change to the allow-transfer clause on the master while trying to
track down another issue and I forgot about it.  Allow-transfer
should, in almost all cases, be set to 'any;'.

I still have some named issues that have me puzzled but, no doubt,
these will eventually yield to further investigation.  One source of
problems is that some of the servers are CentOS-4.8 running Bind
9.2.4 while others are centOS-5.4 running Bind 9.3.6 and there are
differences in how the named.conf file is parsed.

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3