[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:37:59 UTC 2009

Christoph Maser wrote:

>>> No. It matters. And I don't care what version of java, I really dislike
>>> it, because *it's* broken; or, rather, it failed at what it was supposed
>>> to do: a) solve the software backlog,
>> You can't do that with companies shipping broken or non-standard
>> implementations.  There's not much reason to continue that now.
>
> I work in a java shop and I really thik you both are wrong. We do some
> pretty amazing things with it and openjdk in centos (wich I think you
> were relating to) is working quite well for us.

This wasn't a complaint about openjdk.  But how long has that been included in
RHEL/Centos and how many years was something else called java shipped that
didn't actually run java programs?  And how difficult was it to get a properly
packaged working version of java installed if/when you understood why your
programs didn't run? I believe java has been set back enormously because of that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com