[CentOS] network mgmt - was Spacewalk or Puppet?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 21:44:06 UTC 2009

Larry Brigman wrote:

>>> You could define a class that runs a script to detect the network
>>> settings, if it is forced to full duplex it would return true, which
>>> would then trigger another command to run or config files to get
>>> copied, if configs are copied after that it could execute another
>>> command(perhaps snmpset to change the switch config or something).
>> It's next to impossible to get or set a duplex setting via snmp. And
>> non-trivial to figure out what switch port is connected to what device -
>> OpenNMS does a reasonable job but if you activate all of its checks it
>> can kill things that have full bgp routes.
>
> Saw something about this at LinuxCon.  CME is using Cisco Discover
> Protocol and LLDP to figure out the
> info about the connected port, location, vlan and a bunch of other stuff.

That's interesting, thanks!  I was surprised to see that cdpr (from
epel) would pick up the name/ip/port from a connected Dell PowerConnect
switch.  But then I repeated it using the -v option and it found the
upstream Cisco instead...  The production switches are all Cisco though,
so this might be a usable hack to permit pre-configuring machines to
adjust themselves  to whatever order the cables happen to be plugged in.
  The duplex option just shows a number and doesn't offer to interpret
the value, but maybe I can look that up somewhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com