[CentOS] MySQL error 28, can't write temp files - how to debug?

Rudi Ahlers

Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Nov 5 21:44:55 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this one.

On one of our VPS's we have a fairly large MySQL database, which gives
me the following error when running some queries against it:

An error occured!Can't execute statement: Error writing file
'/tmp/MYL4qeT5' (Errcode: 28)
SQL: , , select * from tips order by rand() limit 0, 1 ,

According to google search, errorcode 28 means the HDD is full. But it isn't:

root at vps:[~]$ df -h
/dev/sda1              84G   18G   62G  23% /
none                  640M     0  640M   0% /dev/shm
/usr/tmpDSK           485M   11M  449M   3% /tmp

What else could cause this kind of problem?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers