[CentOS] [Samba] Accessing Windows file-system from Linux samba server

Scott Ehrlich srehrlich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:45:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 10:43 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Adam Nielsen wrote:
>>
>> > When you mount the share, specify a Windows username to connect as
>> > (mount ... -o username=tim)

When I mount smb-based systems, I have successfully used:

mount -t cifs //server/share_point /mnt/local_mount_point -o
user=your_creds_on_server, domain=name_of_domain_or_workgroup

Of course, make sure local_mount_point already exists as a directory
under /mnt, if it doesn't, create it.

You _might_ be able to drop the domain piece.

Server above is the destination you want to mount, be it a fully
DNS-qualified hostname or its IP equivalent.

The above can work straight for root, or you'd need to precede it with
sudo if non-root.

Just remember, if as sudo, the first password is sudo challenging you
for sudo rights.  The second password is the challenge from the remote
smb-based system (Windows, Samba, etc).  Of course, you need a known
account on the remote system to successfully gain access to it.

Hope that helps.

Scott