[CentOS] Question - Xen host, DHCPD and guest VMs

Scot P. Floess

sfloess at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 15:03:39 UTC 2009

I have a question about a Xen host that runs dhcpd and installing
guest/running guest VMs (that use DHCP)...

On other hosts or hosts running VMs, they are absolutely able to get DHCP
addresses no trouble...  However, the fun begins when the machine I run
dhcpd on is also hosting VMs.  I can see in /var/log/messages the request
and ack from dhcpd but the guest VM never hears it.  If I should bounce
dhcpd prior to a guest install or start a guest VM - everything works just
fine.

I'm guessing, perhaps, there is some iptables rule I need to set up?
Based on the init scripts, dhcpd definitely starts before xend and
xendomains and ultimately the xen bridge...

Anybody know what I need to do :)  I've been bouncing dhcpd in
/etc/rc.local and starting any VMs there.  Although annoying, I'd rather
do it "right" so I can auto start my Xen guests...

Thanks ahead of time!

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549