[CentOS] 2 TB limit on a samba share

Monty Shinn montys at videopost.com
Fri Nov 6 15:40:14 UTC 2009

On 11/06/2009 09:17 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> Monty Shinn wrote:
>
>> On 11/06/2009 09:04 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>

>>> I'm running a server with Centos 3 that I have set up a smbfs share to a
>>> Buffalo LinkStation. The LS has 4 drives configured with RAID 5. Each
>>> disk has 1 TB capacity, so the resulting drive is approximately 2.7 TB.
>>>
>>> When doing a df, the result shows 2 TB, and no used blocks. Is there
>>> some setting I can change so that Centos sees and uses all 2.7 TB or
>>> does Centos 3 not support this?
>>>
>>> Steve Campbell

>> Setting the blocksize did the trick for me.
>>
>> block size = 4096
>>
>> This goes in the "services" section, not global.
>>
>> i.e.:
>>
>> [xx-01]
>>         comment = xx-01
>>         path = /data-store
>>         valid users = xx
>>         read only = No
>>         block size = 4096
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Monty
>>

> I had googled and found something about that setting, but....
>
> Where exactly is this set? What file is that set in?
>
> Thanks for the fast reply.
>
> steve

It is set in the smb.conf file.  It is located under /etc/samba/.

You will have to restart samba for the change to take place.  Do that by
issuing the following:

/etc/init.d/smb restart.

The setting is placed in the share definitions section, not in the
global settings where server level definitions are placed.

See http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html for
more details.

excerpt:

      block size (S)

    This parameter controls the behavior of smbd(8)
    <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbd.8.html> when
    reporting disk free sizes. By default, this reports a disk block
    size of 1024 bytes.

    Changing this parameter may have some effect on the efficiency of
    client writes, this is not yet confirmed. This parameter was added
    to allow advanced administrators to change it (usually to a higher
    value) and test the effect it has on client write performance
    without re-compiling the code. As this is an experimental option it
    may be removed in a future release.

    Changing this option does not change the disk free reporting size,
    just the block size unit reported to the client.

    Default: //|block size|/ = |1024| /

    Example: //|block size|/ = |4096|/

Hope this helps.

Monty