[CentOS] administering an MS Windows partition under Linux

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Nov 6 20:31:17 UTC 2009

Boris Epstein wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:21:39 -0500:

> If I have a dual-boot machine (Linux and Windows) would I have any
> good tools under Linux that would allow me to look at the content of
> the Windows boot partition, administer it, clean up the registry,
> remove viruses if any, etc? The Windows installation seems to be so
> defective as to be quite useless so I am trying to think of a good
> strategy for dealing with the situation.

Why would you want to do that? If there's valuable data you can get them
off the partition with Linux (CentOS can mount NTFS) and then reinstall
your Windows to that partition. Actually the data on the partition should
stay unharmed by a reinstallation or repair installation (you can do a
repair installation from the install media).
When reinstalling Windows you may lose bootability to Linux and
reestablish grub. There are lots of articles/tutorials on the net if you
need help on that.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany