[CentOS] Problem: NVIDIA C73 & 1440x900

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 04:09:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:42:11 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 09:31:20PM +0000, MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> As mentioned in my previous thread, I can't get my Video card: NVIDIA
>> C73 [GeForce: 7100/ nForce 630i] to display 1440x900 on my CentOS 5.4
>> on my HP Pavilion with monitor Dell E198WFPV.
>>
>> Googing around, I see that others have had this problem with the NVIDIA
>> card.  In one case, it was solved by gaining access to card parameters
>> and setting them directly.  I can't find a way to do this on my box.
>>
>> One solution might be to just insert another video card in the bus, and
>> ignore the NVIDIA.  Would this work?  I have a card that I know works.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Mike:
>
> I have no experience with that card, but here are a couple of ideas that
> may help:
> --are you using a digital (DVI) video cable, or the analog cable from
>   video card to monitor? If DVI, try the analog (VGA) cable and see if
>   it allows you to select the resolution you need. (my new DVI monitor
>   came with a note that said that some cards cannot select the right
>   resolution when using the DVI cable, but will work fine with a VGA
>   cable--though it worked fine for me with my nvidia card (9800GT))
> --have you tried using xrandr to force it to the desired resolution?
>   'man xrandr' is your friend.
>
> Fred

The screen is connected through an Iogear switch so the screen works
with two Linux boxes.  I assume that this is a digital connection,
although I don't really know.  Everything is fine with the other box
as well as the old box I am replacing.

I tried:  xrandx --verbose -s 1440x900

I get:  "Size 1440x900 is not found in available modes"

I am considering taking the video card from the old box and putting
it in the new one, and ignoring the original card in the new box.
Might this work?

Mike.