[CentOS] Sort logfiles at rotation time

Stephen Nelson-Smith

stephen at atalanta-systems.com
Mon Nov 9 14:00:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I want to be certain that my apache and varnish logfiles are in strict
date order when rotated.  I'd like to run a sort command against them
before they're compressed.

I've had a look at the logrotate man page, and it looks like I can use
a postrotate/endscript to do this.  However, I can see any reference
in the documentation for how to operate on the file.  All the examples
seem to take the form of restarting something, or running some other
standalone script.  What I want to do is run a sort command against
the newly rotated file - but how do I know what it is called?

Any ideas?

S.