[CentOS] Sort logfiles at rotation time

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Nov 9 17:08:04 UTC 2009

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote on Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:45:35 +0000:

> Because within apache, you can't necessarily guarantees strict
> chronological order of log entries.  If, for example, php takes a
> couple of seconds to run, the request could come a couple of seconds
> before the log entry is written

Is it possible that everyone misunderstood your question?
You want to sort the *content* of the log files, so the content is in
chronological order?
I do not see much value in this. Commonly used log reporting tools are
able to cope with limited "displacements" in time. I don't know anybody
who cares about that.
But you may try mergelog for this purpose.
http://mergelog.sourceforge.net/

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany