[CentOS] About the tar extract signal directory~~

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Wed Nov 11 08:23:53 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 09:16 AM, Majian wrote:
> Hi,all:
>
> I've couple of large tarballs such as www.tar and images.tar.
>   Is it possible to extract a single file or a list of files from a large
> tarball such as images.tar instead of extracting the entire tarball?
>   How do I extract specific files under Linux / UNIX operating systems?

Start by doing a:

tar tvf www.tar

to get a listing of the names in the tarball.

If you need to restore a specific file or directory,
do a:

tar xvf www.tar ./www/specific/folder

or

tar xvf www.tar ./www/specific.file

The files are restored relative to the current directory.

The naming "./www/specific/folder" should match the list
you got from the "tar tvf" command.

The restore reads the whole archive, so it can take a while.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Mobile: +45 22 12 53 25
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk