[CentOS] kernel not booting after update

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Nov 12 23:06:01 UTC 2009

Spiro Harvey wrote:
> Box is a dual core Xeon (E8500) with hardware SATA RAID on board.

The E8500 is a desktop Core2Duo CPU, I thought?     'what sort of
Hardware SATA RAID?  Do you mean, Intel Matrix Raid?  thats not actually
hardware, thats BIOS/driver implemented fake raid, and frankly, you'd be
better off using native linux mdraid.

Or did you mean the older E8500 server chipset, for the Xeon MP 70x0 or
71x0 series (p4 prescott based) CPUs in a server with proper onboard
raid such as a HP SmartArray or Dell PERC ?

If this latter, never mind what I said above...    needless to say,
these part numbers can be very confusing.