[CentOS] vsftpd question

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 20:29:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>wrote:

> On 11/13/2009 07:16 PM, Victor Subervi wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I've learned how to add a user and change the root dir of vsftpd (which
> > of course is undocumented). Now I need to learn how to make it so that a
> > given user can only access his/her folder (within the root dir). Please
>
> not sure what docs you are looking at - but all these things are quite
> clearly documented in the vsftpd docs and config files. Start by looking
> there.

Well, you all pointed me to some documentation that was hardly worthy of the
name. In fact, I'd dare say that "vsftp" stands for "Very SansDocs FTP". I
googled and discovered a script for creating and adding users to vsftpd, and
how to change the doc root--stuff that should be right up front in any
documentation for an ftp server worth the name--but was unsuccessful in
finding how to point certain users to certain folders within the doc root.

> It almost seems as if you are relying on this list to be your sysadmin
> and your sp0onfeeder.

I apologize. It's been several years since I ran a server and I just need to
get this server up and running. I'm unfamiliar with the OS, and each OS is
different. I'll study the docs after I get up on my feet. And yesterday was
an emergency because of my own stupidity. Everyone makes stupid mistakes,
even you guys, and everyone has emergencies, so I hope you'll be a little
understanding.

> eg. Start by indicating what docs you have looked and what is it that
> you didnt find.

Again, I googled this. man vsftpd has virtually nothing. Googling "vsftpd
docs" gives about as much. Also tried man vsftpd.conf which was much more
useful but still didn't provide the information I need, which it seems to me
is fundamental! Perhaps I've missed something, and if I have, I apologize in
advance.

> Also, be considerate and dont top post. if you dont know what that means
> - go look it up

I haven't been doing that for quite some time now, except when I'm thanking
you all for help, in which case I believe it's easier for all concerned. Do
you disagree?
TIA,