[CentOS] kernel not booting after update

Spiro Harvey spiro at knossos.net.nz
Sun Nov 15 20:47:25 UTC 2009

Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the /boot is also part of the raid and it is a soft raid (fake raid
> is the same)
> then maybe only one of the mirror is being updated and grub is
> looking at the other mirror and not finding the files needed.

I think you're on the right track here. I dropped the raid set, and
rebuilt the box, and this time took note of the syncing.. dmraid -s
kept telling me the mirror was "ok" so I'm guessing it synced correctly.

I installed the update again, then set -53 to boot first in the grub
order, but it dumped me at the grub prompt.

So I typed "kernel 2.6.18-" and hit tab, and saw both files (-53 and
-164). Hit tab again, and it completed -53. I went back and typed -164
and selected that. First time Error 13 (unknown executable format). I
reran the kernel line and this time was told Error 15: File Not Found.
Ran it again and got error 13. It pretty much alternated.

So it looks like one side of the mirror isn't getting synced properly.

There are 7 other boxen for which this has worked, so it's possible
this one is just faulty.

I'm also going to try Rob's idea of "nodmraid" to see what happens
there.

Appreciate all the help.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                  www.knossos.net.nz