[CentOS] vsftpd question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Nov 16 15:01:48 UTC 2009

> mark wrote:
>>
>> I got the book, and followed the directions. I, and others, have pointed
>> you to dtuff, Viktor. You say you've not run a server in a while, and that
>> "every OS is different." I'm assuming that means you ran Windows
servers, and have
>> not yet taken enough time to actually learn how *nix works (Chapter 2 of
>> Frisch's book).
>
> I assumed that he meant some other flavor of unix, since in several
> decades they
> have not managed to set and follow a standard for administration and the
> particular things in question vary wildly across them.  But if you've only
> used Red Hat style systems - or maybe even SysV it might not be obvious how
> quirky they are.

Don't consider them quirky - but then, I've worked in a number of *Nixes,
and done admin on Sun, Sun Solaris and Tru64, as well as SuSE and RH, and
found the differences relatively trivial, though Unbuntu's a little more
irritating. Still, if you understand how it all works, it's more a
difference in dialect, not a separate, unrelated language.

         mark