[CentOS] Adaptec SCSI Card 2930LP supported by CentOS 5.x?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Nov 16 16:21:01 UTC 2009

----- "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:
> > ----- "Rainer Duffner" <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> >> Except that nowadays, some cheap desktop-motherboards may not know
> >> how
> >> to enable booting from such a card.
> >> It's years since I used SCSI-drives for desktop-use - and then it
> was
> >> workstation-class Dual-Xeon board, Socket 604.
> >> So I can't say if this is still true today - but I've read that
> >> people
> >> have problems like that.
> >>

> > I've actually found that even in some systems that can boot from
> addon cards properly, there are still some cards that are not
> "bootable". In fact, I have a 29160LP that would not show up as a
> bootable option in a half dozen servers I tried. This includes
> anywhere from custom built boxes to nice upper end Dell units.
> YMMV...
>
> Does it have an option to enable/disable bios in the card setup like
> other ataptec cards?  If so it has to be enabled to boot.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell

I've never been able to get into the BIOS on it. It's almost like the card doesn't have one. When the system boots, there is not the usual 'addon card' operation where the card detects drives, displays it on the screen, then continues to POST. The system simply boots like the card isn't there. As long as you can boot from another device, the card is happily recognized and works flawlessly once an OS is running. I've looked into resetting the configuration on the card, etc... I just think in this case the card may be a lower end card used for secondary addon storage only without the option to boot...

--Tim