[CentOS] vsftpd question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:30:31 UTC 2009

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> mark wrote:
>>> I got the book, and followed the directions. I, and others, have pointed
>>> you to dtuff, Viktor. You say you've not run a server in a while, and that
>>> "every OS is different." I'm assuming that means you ran Windows
> servers, and have
>>> not yet taken enough time to actually learn how *nix works (Chapter 2 of
>>> Frisch's book).
>> I assumed that he meant some other flavor of unix, since in several
>> decades they
>> have not managed to set and follow a standard for administration and the
>> particular things in question vary wildly across them.  But if you've only
>> used Red Hat style systems - or maybe even SysV it might not be obvious how
>> quirky they are.
>>
> Don't consider them quirky - but then, I've worked in a number of *Nixes,
> and done admin on Sun, Sun Solaris and Tru64, as well as SuSE and RH, and
> found the differences relatively trivial, though Unbuntu's a little more
> irritating. Still, if you understand how it all works, it's more a
> difference in dialect, not a separate, unrelated language.

I'd consider starting things at boot time to be as unrelated as you can
get.  There's next to nothing in common between bsd and sysV oriented
systems (I think the ones you mention are mostly sysV-ish).  And the ftp
config concepts go with the choice of the application, which varies even
more wildly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com