[CentOS] RAIDs and JBOD?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 22:44:05 UTC 2009

nate wrote:
> James Bensley wrote:
>
>> So I have found this card and wondered if anyone has a second opinion on it
>> (http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm).
>> Seeing as it states on the website that the CD that comes with the card has
>> RedHat drivers on it, and I will be using CentOS 5.4 i386 on my little home
>> server everything should work just dandy shouldn't it?
>
> Do you feel lucky?
>
> To me seeing something that specifically calls out a version of a
> product tells me often times there is a binary driver behind it, so
> compatibility with CentOS 5.x is not a sure thing.
>
> I poked around quite a bit online but could not find any indication
> of this card/chipset's level of support in linux. Saw a few people
> asking about support but no replies to any of them.
>
> Myself I would skip this card and go for something that you can
> find that indicates it specifically supports Red Hat 5.x. Unless
> you can find something/someone that can tell you that this card
> has support for CentOS/RHEL 5.x.
>
> I use PCI-X 3Ware 8006-2 raid controllers in two of my own
> personal systems, they work pretty well. More recently I got an
> ATTO SAS HBA for a system for a tape drive, they have lots of SAS
> and SATA HBAs, and lots of linux support but I don't see anything
> that is PCI-X.

I was having regular filesystem problems with an adaptec and promise
card installed in the same box and they all went away when I swapped
them out for the 8-port marvel card above - which I got because it was
recommended for Solaris and I might eventually switch (especially if
Nexenta releases a version that includes zfs de-dup soon).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com