[CentOS] format level 3 prompt

Mike - email ignored m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 15:23:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:11:55 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:

> Mike - email ignored wrote:
>> How do I format the prompt at level 3?  One of my accounts has it
>> right, but not the other. I guessed that it was in .tcshrc which was
>> missing from the bad account so I copied it from the good account, but
>> it made no difference.
>>

> depends on what shell you're using....   bash uses $HOME/.bash_profile

Its bash.  Following from .bash_profile to .bashrc to /etc/bashrc,
and noting that at level 3, $TERM=linux, I should be calling
/etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-default, if I have one, which I don't.

But root gets it right, and myUser gets it wrong.

   cd; grep -i .*

shows only the .tcshrc which I should have realized is not the one.
So how is root getting it right?

Mike.