[CentOS] New install RAID 1+0

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Nov 19 18:42:17 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> I have a new server to setup. 4 hard drives and I had intended it to be
> hardware raid but that's a long story.
>
> Does it make sense to set up the first two hard drives with RAID-0
> partitions and then get through the install and then go back later and
> then create identically sized RAID-0 partitions on the other two drives
> and finally create the RAID-1 mirror from the first to the second?

are we to assume that your 'long story' involves this *not* being
hardware raid?  so you're setting this up with mdraid?  or what?

if mdraid, I'd probably boot the CD (or PXE) to rescue mode, use fdisk
and mdadm to partition and raid the drives as you like, then reboot the
CD/PXE into normal install mode, and install onto the md devices you
pre-created.

oh, and you normally build two mirrors (raid1) then stripe them together
(raid0) rather than the other way around.