[CentOS] stupid Centos-DS questions

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Nov 19 19:08:32 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> This is the sort of thing that leaves me baffled :
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/Creating_Directory_Entries.html
>
> It tells me the following, but does not really provide a context for
> me as to why I'd want to do this or how this would relate to the
> real-world problem I am trying to solve.   I think I'm going to have
> to pick up a copy of the LDAP book someone mentioned a while back in
> another of my threads.
>
> 3.1.1. Creating a Root Entry
> Each time a new database is created, it is associated with the suffix
> that will be stored in the database. The directory entry representing
> that suffix is not automatically created.
> To create a root entry for a database:

Alan,
I have Gerald Carters Book - published by O'reilly called "LDAP System
Administration"
It gives a bit more of the stuff you're looking for as to: why do
certain things....?
It is openLDAP centric, thus will need to deal with the differences.
I have a plan to get my own LDAP working any day now (have installed
CentOS DS on two machines - this is straight forward and works as per
the wiki instructions) but not yet managed to get it playing nice.
HTH
Rob