[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Nov 24 07:02:11 UTC 2009

>> Ho hum. I do not know why you keep insisting that letting mimedefang
>> handle say lookups to mysql and perform decisions based on those is
>> faster than if sendmail had native support. It is after all, one less
>> layer to going through and not run in something that is interpreted.
>>

> It's not faster for that operation, but compared to database lookups a couple
> more CPU instructions aren't significant and it is more powerful.  What you get
> is a point where you can do any additional operations if you want, regardless of
> whether the MTA author considered it or not.  And, in cases where the program
> you want to access isn't an already running daemon like mysql, you get a way to
> run it that doesn't need a 1:1 relationship to the mailer processes.

I doubt that making calls via mimedefang is just a 'couple more' cpu
instructions over internal calls within postfix.

But yes, it would be nice for other non-daemonized stuff.

So just chalk sendmail down one notch for lack of multiplexed
mysql/postgresql support versus postfix will you? mimedefang cannot
completely rectify that for sendmail.