[CentOS] Docx format ?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 25 19:44:44 UTC 2009

> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Yep, as well as .xlsx
>>
>> But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$
>> had
>> to change the file format....
>>

> FWIW, the new formats are XML based, albeit compressed.  in most
> theories, this is a good idea for portability.
>
> the old file formats were proprietary, complex and full of ugliness from
> 20 years of extensions and variations (.DOC was used by MS Word for
> MSDOS circa 1985).   Yes, I know, MS did their own XML 'open' document
<snip>
Yeah, some of us have been around that long and remember. Fortunately, I
wasn't forced to pollute my mind with Word until the late nineties, at
worst. Until then, when M$ paid with what we now know were illegal
kickbacks to the manufacturers, *everyone* used WordPerfect, which,
starting with 5.0, was *very* good.

Too bad they have never been able to market their way out of a wet paper
bag with the Governator. Also dumb, since their reveal codes showed codes
that would have had a one-to-one translation to html.

      mark