[CentOS] rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed: connection refused"

Hugh E Cruickshank

hugh at forsoft.com
Wed Nov 25 23:04:59 UTC 2009

CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4

Hi All:

I have a rather annoying problem with rndc which I have not been able
to resolve despite much searching and many attempts to correct. When
making changes to our DNS entries I have tried to use the following
procedures:

1. Flush the cache buffers:

   rndc flush

2. Stop named:

   rndc stop

3. Delete the journal files:

   rm *.jnl

4. Edit the forward and/or reverse zone files as necessary.

5. Restart named:

   rndc start

Everything works fine until the last command which fails with:

   rndc: connect failed: connection refused

I can get around this by using "service named start" but I should not
have to do this. Has anyone encountered something similar and can pass
on some words of wisdom?

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--