[CentOS] SNAT question

Tait Clarridge tait at clarridge.ca
Wed Nov 25 23:17:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 00:58 +0200, Peter Peltonen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Peter Peltonen
> <peter.peltonen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Giovanni Tirloni <tirloni at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If you can ssh to a server on the Internet then your connectivity is
> >> working.  You might want to check if DNS is allowed and working from
> >> the LAN hosts to the Internet.
> >>
> >> The fact that 'w' shows your internal IP address is because you're
> >> connecting from the LAN to the gateway, which doesn't trigger the SNAT
> >> because it's not forwarding any packets... only accepting your
> >> connection.
> >
> > Hmm,I am SSHing not to the gateway but to a server in the Internet, so
> > shouldn't it masquerade the address and w show the gateway's IP and
> > not the client's -- isn't this the whole point of the SNAT?
> >
> > No other service than SSH seems to work. If I do "telnet mydnsip 53"
> > there is no response, it just hangs. I also have correct DNS in
> > /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Nobody has any other ideas what I might be doing wrong here?
>
> Best,
> Peter

I had to get the VPN address range masqueraded on the LAN as the gateway
address.. so for example:

VPN Server LAN IP: 192.168.1.20 (not the real thing, but doesn't matter)
VPN IP Range:	10.99.0.0

So when I connect through OpenVPN, my tunnel adaptor is given an ip like
10.99.0.5 (basically like a LAN, or your eth2).

What I did in IPTABLES is the following (eth0 is the LAN connection for
the VPN server)

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.99.0.0/255.255.255.0 -o eth0 -j
MASQUERADE

After that it worked. All connections to anything on the LAN appear as
if I am coming from 192.168.1.20. Just make sure that forwarding is
enabled (I believe it is required for masquerade):

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

If it equals 0, change it to 1.

You may want to remove all the other entries you tried to get
LAN->Internet going to ensure there is nothing conflicting.