[CentOS] Fedora 11 i386 Evolution address book --> CentOS 5.4 x86_64

Sat Nov 28 19:04:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM, David McGuffey
<davidmcguffey at verizon.net> wrote:
> Finally moved my home desktop from Fedora to CentOS.  My spouse was
<snip>
 and files
> transferred A-OK...but the Evolution address book did not.
>
> Any tips on getting the old /home/.../.evolution/addressbook which
> worked with the version of Evolution on the new machine with an older
> version of Evolution?
>
> BTW, on CentOS, I cannot add new addresses to the address book.  User_id
<snip.

> If I do a forced reinstall of Evolution would it mess up the mail files?

Dave: If you want to reinstall Evolution, I suggest you copy your
.evolution folder and rename it to something else, before you do that,
in case things do not go well.

Not sure of the answers to your Evolution problems. I used it for
years and finally switched to Mozilla Thunderbird, during September
2008, to avoid  problems with Evolution. My experience with Evolution,
at that time, was that help on the Novell Support web site was
difficult or impossible to find.
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html  but
maybe it is better now. My memory isn't clear on the issues, but it
seems like I used a converter somewhere on the web, to convert my
Evolution address book into another widely used format. I still have a
small .evolution folder on this box and see the addressbook.db file.
Not sure where the file converter is, but I see files on my hard drive
in .csv  .ldif and .vcf formats. Probably I exported my Evolution
Address book in one of those formats and then converted into another
format Thunderbird could import.    My suggestion: If you are using
other things in Evolution, in addition to email, stay with it. But, if
you are only using it for email, consider moving to Mozilla
Thunderbird or something else. GL, Lanny