[CentOS] NetworkManager constantly overwriting /etc/resolve.conf - how to disable?

Rudi Ahlers

Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Nov 29 20:57:23 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have a CentOS 5.4 server-only installation, i.e. no X installed, and
for some odd reason /etc/resolve.conf gets overwritten by
NetworkManager on a constant basis. I haven't been able to track down
how often, but I think it's on the hour, or something.

This is the conents of the file right now:

# Generated by NetworkManager

# No nameservers found; try putting DNS servers into your
# ifcfg files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts like so:
#
# DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# DOMAIN=lab.foo.com bar.foo.com

So, I change it to the following:

nameserver 192.168.1.254, save it, and all network functions work
fine. But, later on it get's changed again. Running
"system-config-network", I can see that the nameserver that I have
specified is in there, yet it doesn't show up in /etc/resolve.conf.

I have searched a bit on google, but all the results reveal how to use
NetworkManager to setup the nameservers, but now how it get's set
automatically. Why does this happen, and how do I stop it from
happening?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers