[CentOS] non-threaded perl no longer in .spec file

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Nov 30 22:36:04 UTC 2009

> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up a new server on 5.4 and noticed this in the perl.spec file:
>

> * Mon Jul 21 2008 Stepan Kasal - 4:5.8.8-14.el5
> - add two patches, which...
> - Resolves: #435505, #431041
> - remove %%define threading, the non-threading variant is not supported,
>   Related: 435376
>

> That comment wasn't there when I set up a server on 5.2 a few months
> back and the %define threading option was still in the perl.spec file,
> making it easy for me to create my own non-threaded perl.
>
> I want a non-threaded perl because the mod_perl folks say that the
> performance is better on a non-threaded perl.
>
> I believe I can compare the spec files and figure out where to edit the
> new spec file, but I wondered about that "not supported" comment.
>
> Is there something "bad" about the non-threading variant?

Probably the same thing that is bad about a single core processor.
Which are pretty much no longer available (except for processors meant
for little SBC/Embedded systems).  I suspect that either RH or (more
likely) the Perl people don't want to have to support two versions of
Perl, one with and one without threading.