[CentOS] non-threaded perl no longer in .spec file

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Nov 30 23:26:31 UTC 2009

> Robert Heller wrote:
>
>> Probably the same thing that is bad about a single core processor.
>> Which are pretty much no longer available (except for processors meant
>> for little SBC/Embedded systems).  I suspect that either RH or (more
>> likely) the Perl people don't want to have to support two versions of
>> Perl, one with and one without threading.
>
> Single core CPUs may be rare but single core VMs probably
> represent the dominant number of deployments out there as it's much
> more efficient scheduler wise to go with more single CPUs than fewer
> multi CPU VMs.
<snip>
Good point. In fact, where I was working earlier this year, they had
several long phone calls with VMware's support, who advised them
explicitly to allocate as few cores as possible, because one VM might wait
a *lot* longer if it was looking for 4 or 8 cores, while other VMs were
using several, whereas if it only wanted 2, or 1, it would get its time
slice a lot sooner.

       mark