[CentOS] non-threaded perl no longer in .spec file

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Nov 30 23:34:59 UTC 2009

> > wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Is there something "bad" about the non-threading variant?
> >
> > Probably the same thing that is bad about a single core processor.
> > Which are pretty much no longer available (except for processors meant
> > for little SBC/Embedded systems).  I suspect that either RH or (more
>
> I'll call you on that. A *lot* of people, both at home and in offices, are
> running single core systems, and will be for years. Most folks can't
> afford to upgrade every year or two... and since *most* folks are running
> office software, browsing the Web, and doing email, don't *need* to.

All I meant was it is hard to get a *new* single core processor.  Yes,
there are lots of *old* single core systems that will continue in
service for years. I was going to get a single-core Semperon from
Newegg for my new system, but before I could raise the money to get
one, Newegg discontinued the only remaining AMD single core processor
they carried (all of the Intel ones are multi-core).  I did find one
from a discount/closeout place with some in stock (and they had a
counter showing how many were left in stock).

> Besides, this *is* Linux we're talking about, which runs on *everything*,
> including 386's....

Sure, although most distros don't provide stock kernels for anything
less than a '586.