[CentOS] vncviewer and IPv6

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 1 13:58:53 UTC 2009

I have a host that I have been accessing with vncviewer via its fqdn
that had only an IPv4 A record.

I just added a AAAA IPv6 record, and vncviewer via fqdn stopped
working.  But worked when I provided the IPv4 address instead.

It LOOKS like vncviewer is trying the IPv6 address, eventhough all
documentation indicates that it does not support IPv6.  Definitely my
server is only listening on the IPv4 interface.

SSH has a nice -4 option to force using IPv4; there is no similar option
for vncviewer.

Does anyone have any idea on how to enforce IPv4 usage for IPv6-dead
vncviewer?

Yes, I DO want IPv6 on this server....