[CentOS] OT: dmidecode data - what is maximum RAM capacity of this box?

Lanny Marcus

Thu Oct 1 14:11:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> In Timo's thread about RAM  today, I noticed dmidecode and I got the
>> data for my Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron CPU) box, which is below. I
>
> You running the latest bios for the system?
>
> According to dell 2GB is the max
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

And also according to Crucial.com  2 GB is the maximum.

Nate: I just sent an email to the lady in Dell Latin America in
Austin, TX who has helped us for the past 12 years. Naturally, she is
away on vacation until the 12th and the guy who is covering for her is
out of the office today.   :-)    Hopefully he will Forward the email
I just sent, to someone who can check this out and give me the correct
data.  In fairness to Dell Latin America, I found an email from them
(28 Feb 2005) where it states the max. is 1 GB, but that I needed to
have the same amount of memory in each slot. It had 256 MB, so I
bought another 256 MB DIMM at that time, knowing that 1 GB was the
maximum RAM capacity. I'd forgotten that.....   I asked them to let me
know if there's a later BIOS available, with larger RAM capacity and
if so, where I get that and the installation instructions. Thanks
again, for your time and research!