[CentOS] Problems getting scanner to work from xsane (from Gnome Menu or GIMP)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 1 23:34:15 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 18:41 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> < trimmed >
> >
> > The beast works just fine as both a printer and a scanner (I have not
> > tried to send or receive a fax).  xsane, if given the hpaio:<mumble>
> > url on the command line, works just fine and scanimage is perfectly
> > happy to use the URL defined in the SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE environment
> > variable.  The problem is that the people who will be using it are
> > non-techies and want to be able to just click on the Gnome menu (or use
> > Gimp's File=>Acquire=>scan menu item).  This is where it does not work.
> > Somehow, sane/xscan is not finding the device by scanning for it,
> > which seems to be what is needed, since xscan seems to be ignoring
> > SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE, if the device is not found first by scanning for it.
> >
> Maybe your issue is that the environment variable is not set when the
> Gnome session starts up, so the Gnome menu item doesn't see it.  How are
> you specifying the SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE value?

*I* am just trying it from the command line (I have not gotten as far as
trying it with gnome:

server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE="hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7700?ip=192.168.1.253"
server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE
server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% xsane

xsane that pops up its "scanning for devices" window, then its "no devices
available" dialog

doing:

server1.wendellfreelibrary.org% xsane "hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7700?ip=192.168.1.253"

works fine -- xsane brings up the preview window and its main window and
is perfectly happy to 'Acquire Preview' (and the preview looks like it
is supposed to, so I know the scanner is really scanning).

and scanimage properly uses the value of SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE with no
complaints, except that scanimage -L tells me that no devices were found
(as does scan-find-scanner, which does not seem to be checking for
networked scanners).

I'm *tempted* to just hack the GNome system menu file to hardwire in the
command line argument, except that when an update to GNome will clobber it.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933