[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Data Preservation - More

ML mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com
Sat Oct 3 15:19:48 UTC 2009

Hi Robert,

>> I should just be able to insert the live cd and do a cp -r on / to
>> the
>> destination USB drive, correct?
>
> You don't even need the live cd.  Just boot up single user, plug in
> the
> USB drive, format it with ext2 or ext3 to match the box and do your cp
> -r, although there are probably better options (eg dump/restore, tar,
> etc.) that might do a better job. Warning: there might be more than
> one
> partition (eg /boot and/or /home might be a separate partition, esp.
> if
> the machines are using LVM).  You might need to cp each partition/file
> system separately.

I booted to a the CentOS 5.23 LiveCD.

Yes, it looks like LVM is running because I do have VolGroup00-
LogVol00 in Local Logical Volumes on the desktop.

Can I get the whole VolGroup00 at once, I see an entry in /etc/fstab
for /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00?

If not, how do I know what the partitions are that I need to go after
on this old drive after being booted to a LiveCD. I chose a LiveCD
because without it the machine takes an hour to boot die to DNS issues
and time-outs since moving it to my location (and the original
location does not exist either)

Best,
-ML

-Jason