[CentOS] DNS Serving - Why my own?

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Mon Oct 5 16:25:30 UTC 2009

ML wrote:
> HI All,
>
> Can anyone explain why I might want to run my own DNS Server in-house?
> I have a comcast business circuit and use their DNS servers and when I
> need entries, I use GoDaddy where I buy my domains.
>
> Best,
> -ML

It depends upon how many PCs / servers you have and what functions these
perform.
If you only have one or two computers, do not run your own servers then
you have no need for your own DNS.
If on the other hand you have multiple servers and computer workstations
and want to be able to connect to these by name then running DNS makes
lots of sense. If you host your own web site and email etc then having
your own DNS (or masquerade) saves bandwidth and more particularly time
in DNS lookups.
HTH