[CentOS] How fast?

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 6 03:41:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 05:19:17PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> I'd consider RELIABILITY far more important than speed.    key to DNS
> reliablity is to have an offsite backup for any authoritative DNS.    my
> homebrew DNS network involves my home box on my DSL, my friend's home
> box who is in a different LATA and on a different ISP, and a proper
> server colocated in a data center, in yet a different city on a
> different backbone.   between these three systems, we're pretty damn
> robust for something completely free.

This is obviously offtopic, but I use zoneedit.com for secondary DNS,
hosting the primary for my domain at my home (behind a DSL connection).
I have fairly low bandwidth requirements for DNS lookups, so my domain
has always been free of charge.  I've never had any problems with their
service.  If you use them as slaves, you can have pretty much any
configuration (and complete control) you want for your zone.

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net