[CentOS] problem installing centos 5.3 on IBM x3200 m2

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Wed Oct 7 11:21:13 UTC 2009

Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install centos 5.3 on ibm x3200 m2 server. The problem
> appears when the installer is about to finish the installation. It
> detects the RAID correctly, but it doesn't finish formatting the root
> partition. I tried the default partition layout and also a custom one,
> but it always ends with the same message:
> An error occurred trying to format /. this problem is serious and the
> install cannot continue.
>
> I also checked the error console (ctrl+alt+F4) and it writes:
> <3> sd 0:1:10:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
>
> lspci says that the machin has an:
> LSI Logic SAS1064ET PCI-Express SCSI controller
> Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Ethernet
>
> Has anybody an idea, how to fix this?

Hmmm, my employer has 5.3 installed on similar hardware:

# lspci
05:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064ET
PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02)

We never had any issues installing. Not to sound so simple, but did you
do a media check on the installation CD/DVD before trying to install?

Regards,
Max