[CentOS] Linux CD Stores

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 8 12:29:11 UTC 2009

> ML wrote:
> > HI All,
>
> > downloading and burning myself. I am actually planning on ordering
> > CentOS 5.4 media when available to support the project.
>
> Most distros/OSs provide that service built in -
> https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
> http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html
> http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
> http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE
> http://store.mandriva.com/?cPath=149
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
> http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=24
>
> Myself I never trusted those CD burning shops, I recall on a
> couple of occasions getting bad CDs back in the day(which
> given the number of times I bought such CDs the ratio was
> pretty high). Much happier with real pressed CDs.
>
> Then there are the various linux/open source events where
> endless distributions hand out free CDs.
>
> > Does anyone think these store make any money? (Linux CD Mall, Linux CD
> > Shop, Linux Central...etc)
>
> Not off the CDs.
>
> > Wouldn't someone selling a set for a few dollars plus shipping clean up?
>
> I wouldn't think so, not off the CDs alone. Where is the
> value add?
>
> Demand just isn't there. Even when I was still on dialup
> v90 for the most part I still downloaded ISOs. Leave it
> on overnight and it's usually done by morning. Prior to
> those days on occasion I'd buy a CD, my memory from back
> then is foggy.
>
> Which I suspect is why most of those other places like
> linux central and stuff offered things like stuffed tuxes,
> stickers, and other gadgets. Still have a few of those
> myself..

My dialup is slow & unreliable (thanks to Verizon's lack of maintaince),
so I order CD-Rs from Cheapbytes.  Not had any problems.

Yes, I expect thay Cheapbytes probably barely covers their costs selling
CDs and makes a little more from the 'other' stuff (stickers, T-shirts,
toys, etc.).

I have some open source software for sale as a CD at LuLu -- does not
make money, but I understand the woes of not having broadband (been
there, still doing that).