[CentOS] resolv.conf rewritten every reboot. How to figure out who and why?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Fri Oct 9 00:20:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:32:39PM -1000, Dave wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org> wrote:
> > Quoting Dave <tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com>:
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> What man page would tell me what this means? How should I have known
> >> that's what I should do, if I were lacking the luxury of being told by
> >> one wiser than myself?
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
>
> Wow, there it is. I guess I could've found it by doing a careful
> search of the initscripts package, which contains/owns
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, which was the only script
> in /etc/ that invokes /sbin/dhclient, which a comment in
> /etc/resolv.conf revealed to be the program that wrote it.

Just one of those things you kind of pick up as you go along and
remember.  Tribal knowledge if you will.

Where exactly did you attempt to look first?  I'm just trying to think
of where a more obvious place to look would be first.  Perhaps a man
page documenting all the ifcfg type settings?  man ifcfg?

Ray