[CentOS] disk I/O problems and Solutions

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Oct 9 17:52:22 UTC 2009

I would second what another poster stated, to look at DB/RAM
optimizations. If possible, you should have enough RAM in the system to
hold your entire DB in memory - and your db software should be setup to
take advantage of that memory.

Since you stated that your system is only having trouble at writes,
doing batch inserts, I would look at how you are doing these batch
inserts and see if you can optimize this by using techniques to delay
key writes or adjust locking mechanisms on the insert. Some databases
have special insert from file or bulk insert operations that are much
faster than running many single row inserts - be sure you are taking
advantage of these methods.

--Blake