[CentOS] Dell Equallogic

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Oct 14 20:23:08 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> Couldn't you accomplish this with the "alias" parameter in your
> multipath.conf file per LUN?  We have this set up here so there's a
> /dev/mpath/<friendly_name> based on the WWID.

I suppose I could, I recall the friendly name thing a while
ago, it seemed more complicated than using LVM though to me at
the time. I came up with a system a couple of years ago and haven't
had much need to re-visit it.

Another option I think was to use the file system label feature
at least with ext3. But I found the other advantages to LVM, so
stuck to that, even though I've yet to have more than 1 LV in
any particular VG on my SANs.

I came up with this script at the time to mount/unmount my
volumes:
http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/mount_san.init

Mainly to work around limitations in RHEL/CentOS 4 with
regards to iSCSI volumes being mounted at the right time, and
unmounted at the right time. I believe RHEL/CentOS 5 has fixed
this, but I haven't had a need to try out the "fix" since my
setup is working well.

nate