[CentOS] CentOS 5.4? anyone? - "debate"

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Oct 16 10:25:32 UTC 2009

Niki Kovacs schrieb:
> Les Mikesell a écrit :
>

>> I think for a lot of us, the 'we'll release when it's ready' mentality
>> is the main reason we aren't using debian.  I don't think CentOS should
>> repeat their mistakes.
>>

> Well, I'm glad they actually *do* repeat that special mistake. Do you
> prefer we'll-release-next-week-whatever-that-may-break ? In that case,
> stick with Ubuntu Server.

It's good to have a fixed date to work towards.
Otherwise, you get feature-creep, where more and more stuff goes into
the release but never stabilizes.
FreeBSD does it pretty well - they never release on-time, but at least
they work towards the dates and clearly push stuff back one or two
minor-releases when they see that they can't stabilize it.
CentOS OTOH has a fixed feature-set (that of the corresponding RHEL
release) that it must complete. So, necessarily the release-date is more
or less open.

If you have 500 boxes, you are not going to update them all on the same
day that RHAT releases 5.x anyway.

Rainer