[CentOS] [off-topic] Build packages in virtual machine

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Oct 17 01:10:10 UTC 2009

> Hi
>
> Sorry for the silly question, but is it safe to build packages, like
> rpms, in virtual machines (virtualbox) and use this packages in real
> machines? Some of these machines are CentOS and others ares Opensuse.
>
> I need to build (or would be very useful to have) Ganglia 3.1.x

It is as safe as building the rpms on real machines.  A virtual machine
is really just as 'real' as a real machine, as far as the software
running on it goes.  Virtualization is really just a hardware 'feature'
-- that is, virtualization is effectively only a different flavor of
hardware, where the hardware is virtual (hardware 'emulated' in software
on the host system).