[CentOS] Samba/BackupPC under CentOS-5.3

Paul Berger subsolar at dimpixels.org
Sat Oct 17 15:56:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I'm almost completely ignorant about samba on Windows machines,
> In particular I know nothing about Windows permissions,
> if that is relevant here.
>
> I am running BackupPC on a CentOS-5.3 machine.
> It works perfectly for backing up Linux folders,
> but I have great difficulty extending it to Windows clients.
>
> To be precise, I have a share called "EA Games D"
> on a machine running Windows XP Pro.
> I can access it through Samba:
> -------------------------------------
> m at rose ~]$ sudo mount -t cifs harriet:"EA Games D" /mnt/win
> Password:
> [tim at rose ~]$ ls /mnt/win
> The Sims 2
> -------------------------------------
> But I do not seem able to back it up with BackupPC .
> In my BackupPC conf file for harriet I have under Smb Settings
>        "EA Games D"
>
> But when I run a backup (incremental or full)
> I get the error in /var/log/BackupPC/LOG
> 2009-10-17 14:43:43 Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Well it does not seem to be a CentOS or Windows firewall issue since
you can mount the share via command line.

Are you specifying a your username (tim) and windows password in the
pc configuration in BackupPC?  You probably would be getting a
different error message if those were not entered or were wrong, but
just to cover the bases because I have DOH moments and forget such
things.

The other option is to specify the IP address as "ClientNameAlias" if
the windows system has a static IP.  If the IP address is not
statically mapped you may have look at using the DHCP settings and
specify that the host is a DHCP host.

Hope some of this may help, I just setup BackupPC and had two windows
boxes (Windows 2000) that I wanted to backup with it and had no
issues.

Regards,
Paul Berger