[CentOS] Caught between a Red Hat and a CentOS

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Sun Oct 18 07:04:41 UTC 2009

Ron Blizzard wrote:
> I wonder if Red Hat has ever considered limited, paid support options
> for CentOS?

I think that would be brand cannibalisation and self-defeating.  To
charge a lower support fee for the same product with a different name
would surely only devalue their prime product and lead to revenue
decreases in the long run.

Hopefully there are and will remain to be enough businesses who support
Red Hat.  I know most of my customers would not be comfortable with a
community support arrangement and so pay Red Hat's subscription fees.
Thank goodness they do, because without them we wouldn't have CentOS.

Ian