[CentOS] Backing up a centos serveR? how to ? Newbie question..

RoLaNd RoLaNd

r_o_l_a_n_d at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 19 08:15:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

excuse my newbie question but how can i backup my centos server?

i have a dozzen of virtual hosts over it as well as substantial database entries..

i've backed up the following directories using rsync:

workspace/
/etc/httpd/
/etc/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/
/usr/lib/mysql/
/var/lib/mysql

though i'm still not at ease with this, so i decided to do a some sort of clone or something to move this server to a VMWARE which i will turn on when needed (if main server failed)

any advice on how to do so ?

i've looked around and tried using "clonezilla" though that didn't work with me, i guess i mustve done something wrong... each time i try to boot from the cloned image of the local disk (which in turn cloned to the VM's local disk) it gives an error bout root records...

so any other way ?

any sort of help is greatly appreciated :)

thanks and best regards,

Roland