[CentOS] Caught between a Red Hat and a CentOS

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Mon Oct 19 20:19:44 UTC 2009

Clint Dilks a écrit :

> My Experience has been that its the difference between installing system
> and setting up systems for production use.  In New Zealand at least it
> seems that if you can have a system where everything is installed in the
> standard way with a default configuration then you can get assistance.
> If your installation varies from this at all, the first statement is we
> won't / can't help until you move to the standard default configuration.

I was recently called by a small local company (20 employees) who run
Linux: Slackware on the server, and Ubuntu on the desktops. The company
had "a few issues with the server" (setup by the boss himself, who
didn't have the spare time to maintain the thing).

I took a peek at that thing. In short, it's a Slackware 11.0, a bare
minimum install, and then about everything from Apache to PostgreSQL to
whatever compiled by hand, not even with build scripts, but manually
with ./configure (--prefix=...... [options]), make, make install,
installed once and then never touched again.

I said: "Erm, sorry, but, well, no."

:o)

Niki