[CentOS] using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:15:51 UTC 2009

> We have decided to get the Thecus 8800N NAS devices at the end of the
> day, since they're about 40% cheaper than having to build one. They
> run a Linux based OS, and uses software RAID, but I can't build a new
> server at this price, even with software RAID.

Hey Rudi, I'm finding myself tracing your footsteps here as we are
looking at going down a similar path.

How is that Thecus working out for you?

I googled it and hit this on Tigert Direct

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4831685&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

though it is not clear to me how many drives that comes with - looks
like only 1 I guess.

thanks,
-Alan