[CentOS] Upgrade to 5.4 with an existing XFS-filesystem

Bernhard Gschaider

bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Tue Oct 20 18:51:58 UTC 2009

Hi!

I've got a fileserver currently running under 5.3 with the
/home-partition being an XFS-filesystem. I use the kmod-xfs from
extras. It works great ;)

Now: as I understand it from the release-notes the 5.4 kernel has XFS
already built-in. Right? Or is it just a kmod-package ("technology
preview")

Now my question is: are there any recommendations for an
upgrade-procedure? I mean, I can probably manage, but I'll want to
minimize downtime

Bernhard

BTW: when doing "yum list updates" I don't see any "kernel*"-packages
in the list. Is this because the last kernel from the 5.3-updates has
the same build-numer (164 I think)? And is the 5.4-base-kernel the
same as the latest 5.3-updates-kernel?